Saturday, May 14, 2011

An Amazing Night

It is a funny feeling, knowing we have made it to a big milestone in our lives. Last night was Rachel's 8th grade graduation, which is a big celebration at our school.  I love her so much!
Tim, Rachel and Jenni

I know I speak for Tim also when I say that we are very proud of the young woman she has become.  She makes me laugh and her beautiful smile can light up a room.

I took the last few hours of the day off on Friday, just to be sure the house was up to par and I was ready for the upcoming night. She came home from having her hair done, and I burst into tears. She hugged me great big and said it will be ok! I told her I was crying happy tears. I guess I figure it is an accomplishment that she isn't totally screwed up by now, considering the obstacles of our life with a divorce and death to deal with.  I also cried because I know Brian would be so proud of her, and this was just one more event he isn't here to share.  Thankfully, Brian's parents were here, and his brother and his wife and kids came too.  It made me feel close to Brian, knowing that we are still a family, and they were there to celebrate. My dad and Martha were also there, and so were Karis and Zeke, TJ and Erin, Tori, Don and Luke, and Jacob and Rosie.  I am so very thankful for our family, and for them being there to show their support of Rachel as she ends one chapter of her life and begins another.

I held back the tears as Rachel packed up her things and 10 years of her life at St. Gregory's came to an end. 10 years of coming to school with me. 10 years of getting to be a part of so much of her life, just because I teach there.  I think that is something I will miss the most. I will be honest to say I am to the point that I will not miss being her teacher. We got along very well, aside from a few times, but I am happy to go back to just being the mom!

Apparently I'm not the only one who cried over this. I didn't know until later, but the younger students lined up in the entryway to tell the 8th graders good-bye as they left at 12:20.  I guess Tye was bawling his head off. He cried at graduation too when one of the speeches was about leaving.  I was able to hold it together at graduation for the most part, until Amberlea started crying during the parent song. We just love Rachel so much, and I hope she always knows that.

I cried also because I know in my heart that these next 4 years are going to fly by.  In no time at all, we will be planning a high school graduation party, as well as getting ready for college. Whew!  I am excited though, for what this next chapter will bring, and look forward to her high school years. 

1 comment:

Jill Baker said...

Now I'm crying! She is an amazing child with an amazing mother. As I always tell my mom when she's sad about the way our family circumstance turned out..."I wouldn't be the person I am today had it not been for the experiences I had." She has learned strenght, humility, respoinsibility, grace, honesty, endurance, and unconditional love from you AND from her experiences. Congratulate yourself for the parenting you've done thus far, and the joyful child you've helped to create! Big hugs!

Jill