Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

I am just going to come right out there and say what I am thinking. How in the world these 9/11 families can handle the hype surrounding the 10th anniversary of that horrible day when they lost their loved one is beyond me. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with what has taken place today and over the past month in preparation for today.  I am just trying to wrap my head around it. Everyone grieves so differently, how have the big wigs who have organized and orchestrated all of what has happened as far as memorials even been able to consider these differences?  I am not an expert on grief, just very experienced. And I am thinking without a doubt that all of this seriously has had to hurt some more than it has helped them. It was quite a touching tribute to hear all of those names said at ground zero today.  I liked that they were each their own individual, each a life worth remembering instead of all lumped together.  I didn't like the news commentator saying...ok, we are taking you back now to relive those horrifying moments...seriously, do you hear yourself?  And what about the children of 9/11? What heartbreak this has to have been for them.  Especially the ones who were so little. I can't help but think that some, not all, but some will mourn September 11, 2011, more than they did in 2001, simply because they were not old enough. How do I know that? I don't for sure, just suspect. I know that Tye being as young as he was became a blessing in some regards.  Can you imagine me taking each traumatic and horrifying step through Brian's death and telling Tye all about it, plastering it all over the t.v. Repeatedly. For. the. last. month?  I just can't believe that is the right thing for all 3,000 of those children who lost a parent. Oh, and my favorite...already have heard it from the mouths of so many reporters to those directly involved...do you miss him? have the last 10 years been hard growing up without a dad?  Or even worse...how did you feel when you realized he was dead? What did you think when you realized the towers collapsed?

I think the thing that is of most concern to me are those who have successfully be able to heal in a healthy way and move forward. Who would otherwise mark the 10th anniversary of their loved one's death quietly, privately, personally. Or those who have struggled to take any steps forward, and have finally been putting one foot in front of the other. Does this overwhelming response/reaction whatever it is called for the 10th anniversary help the cause for them or hinder it.  No doubt, there are many who have been able to move forward, and this is a moment they expected, they embrace, and remember.  For others, it may turn out to be a very good turning point in their grief, a chance to share and move beyond.

I have thought a lot about myself and kids this weekend. How would I feel if there was a designated time in our lives that I HAD to relive the horrors of losing Brian or my mom. Those thoughts come already without warning.

What a very difficult day for thousands of people directly, and for our nation as a whole.  One of my students asked...how many people were affected by 9/11? My response...we don't know for sure, but it is very widespread and multi-leveled.  And so much grief to deal with. My prayers are with all of those who lost someone they love. May they be blessed with the chance to grieve and heal.

No comments: