Saturday, August 29, 2009

*&^$#*^)(@#(*&%$!!!!!

I almost don't even have the words this morning. I have been trying to take a break from some of my blog following, mostly because I am trying to focus on my hectic fall schedule and my children, and also because my emotions need a break. I missed checking a few last weekend, and was determined to wait until this morning to check.

Sheesh.

David Field and Jen Lukach are both gone. Both of them. They are melanoma warriors, but more importantly they are a mommy and a daddy to young children, they are a wife and a husband, they are a son and daughter. David's wife Tara was very supportive of me during Brian's battle and after. I followed his journey with a heavy heart because I could see the disease progressively taking over.

David Field - black mole the size of a dime on his back around the beltline. Removed in 1997, determined to be spreading melanoma. Clear until March 2005 (around the time of Brian's recurrance). Died yesterday morning at the age of 45. He leaves behind his wife of 12 years, a 5th grade son and a 2nd grade daughter.

Jen Lukach - mole on left arm about 7 years ago, diagnosed Clark 1 Level Melanoma. Cleared of all cancer, followed with routine checkups. Recurrance in the summer of 2008. Died this past Sunday at the age of 34. Jen leaves behind her husband of 5 years, and a daughter who will be 3 in October.

It is much consolation to know that melanoma can never hurt them again. Still, I am baffled that this disease just keeps picking off otherwise healthy people at an alarming rate. God help us all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad. I have followed Dave's story ever since you posted his link on your site. I feel like so many of these people have come into my life as family. I'm so sad for Sam and Emma. Why, why, why? I never can find either a prayerful or a peaceful answer to that question. I'm furious at those who take life for granted. Who continue to tan, bake, and ignore. Ugh.

I'm tired of a media that makes life and death seem like something to which we should all become de-sensitized. Everyday millions of husbands and wives, children and parents lose those whom they love the most, and yet people still pay money to watch people blow up in movies. I just DO NOT get it.

Okay, I guess it was my turn to rant.


I'm so sorry that you lost another friend today. I'll keep Dave's family in my prayers, and I'll never stop fighting to make the reality of melanoma known to everyone.

Love you,
JIll

Girl of Approval said...

My fiance knew Jen through working at Amazon. He was diagnosed with leukemia ten days after Jen's recurrence. He ran into her a few times at the Cancer Center and I came to follow Jen's life on her Caring Bridge site.

I may not be a survivor but I am waging a war on skin cancer. I advise strangers not to tan and to use sunscreen.

http://www.cancerforcollege.org/WILL_FERRELL_SUNSCREEN.html Let's spread the word that sunscreen can be fun and that proceeds do something other than line the pockets of CEO's.